Dogs can eat parts of the rhubarb plant, which is a herbaceous plant which belongs to the same family as celery. The stalks are edible for your pet, but the leaves contain high levels of oxalic acid, which makes them poisonous to both dogs and humans.
If your dog does eat Rhubarb leaves, it’s unlikely that they’ll become seriously ill. They would have to eat quite a few leaves to get poisoned, however the symptoms can vary and can be quite nasty. If you’re concerned that your pet has got their paws on Rhubarb leaves then look out for the below symptoms.
Symptoms of Rhubarb poisoning in dogs
If you suspect that your dog has eaten some rhubarb from the garden or whilst you’re out on a walk, here’s the symptoms to look for:
- Kidney failure
- Weakness, struggling to walk
Learn more about your dog’s diet
If you’re interested in reading more about your dog’s diet, then take a look at our article on functional feeding. For more answers to questions like ‘can my dog eat rhubarb’ our advice page is great for tips and advice. You can also join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram – don’t forget to tag us @DogBuddyCo!