Are you a DIY, craft-loving, thrifty kind of dog owner? You’ll love these two simple recipes for homemade doggy shampoo. What’s more, you can make them with ingredients most of us already have in our cupboard.
Have you ever used dry shampoo on your own hair and wished there was something like that to keep your dog smelling fresh and clean between baths? Here’s a quick recipe, courtesy of SheKnows.com.
Dry shampoo with the scent of cookies
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- Vanilla oil without additives
- A sugar / salt dispenser or mason jar
- Mix baking soda and corn flour and add 6/10 drops of vanilla.
- Put all in a dispenser of salt or sugar (see photo above).
How to use:
Simply shake a small amount at a time onto your hands and work the dry shampoo into your dog’s hair. The ingredients work together to remove unpleasant smells, keep your dog’s hair from getting too oily, and leaves your dog smelling like cookies!
Creamy oatmeal and honey shampoo
When it’s time for a proper wash, here’s a homemade shampoo recipe that’s gentle to their skin and will give your pooch hair that’s soft and smells delicious.
- 170g rolled oats
- 115g of sodium bicarbonate
- 1 tablespoon of liquid honey
- 140ml water
- Put the oats in your kitchen blender / mixer until they’re all ground up to make oat flour
- Add the other ingredients until you have a creamy consistency (you’ll want to add the water gradually)
How to use:
- Storing the mixture in sealable jar means you can give it a good shake before use
- Massage the shampoo into your dog’s hair when wet, and rinse just like normal!
For more homemade dog shampoo recipes, head on over to Dogster and check out their simple and powerful ways to curb canine odour!