Announced just yesterday, there are seven new dog breeds competing at the 140th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show this year. Taking place on the 15th and 16th of February in New York City, the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is often regarded as the Oscars for dogs. These aren’t actually brand new dog breeds per se, rather they are only recently recognised for competition.
Here are the new dog breeds:
1. The Bergamasco is a herding dog from the Alps.
2. The Miniature American Shepherd – another herding dog – has Australian Shepherd ancestry.
3. The Boerboel is a powerful South African watchdog.
4. The Spanish Water Dog was also originally used as a herding dog.
5. The Lagotto Romagnolo has historically been used as a hunting dog.
6. The Cirneco dell’Etna is a very hardy Sicilian hunting dog with Egyptian ancestry.
7. The Berger Picard is an old herding dog from France.
What are your thoughts on the new dog breeds? Are there any breeds missing from the competition you think deserve special recognition? Let us know by commenting below.