Australian Shepherds are, as the name suggests, herding dogs, however, they aren’t actually Australian at all. The breed was developed in the western United States in the 1800’s. In recent times, their striking looks have led them to become popular pets. As with most shepherding breeds they are very intelligent and athletic – they won’t be happy lazing around a small flat all day.
To celebrate Australia Day today, we’ve gathered seven stunning images of Australian Shepherds. Just because.
7 Australian Shepherds For Australia Day
1. More often than not they have merle coats.
2. And have two differently coloured eyes.
3. Australian Shepherds are naturally fairly reserved, so as pets they need to be socialised a lot.
4. Many don’t have tails.
5. They shed all year round. You’d better embrace furry furniture.
6. Don’t be surprised if they try to herd you or your kids.
7. They need a lot of exercise – or even better, a job to do.
N.B. – If you came here looking for a different ‘breed’ of Australian Shepherd, perhaps this is what you wanted.